Whoa, that’s a doozy of a title! Anyway, today I was working on making the mashup look prettier and actually somewhat usable for human consumption. I was using thickbox to get some pretty snazzy ajax stuff going on for displaying the about page and whatnot. Today, I included prototype for some even more snazzy ajax stuff. But apparently they clash.
I guess both of them like using the ‘$’ character as a shortcut to make the code easier to read. Which means they have crazy namespace conflicts. Bad developers! Anyway, here’s how I got it to work. Right after the import of the jquery library, I set the ‘$’ thing to be ‘$j’ instead. Then I refactored thickbox to use the ‘$j’ name instead. It worked. Here’s what the head looks like:
<script>var $j = jQuery.noConflict();</script>